As we prepare to celebrate Easter with our families and friends, it is important for all pawrents to remember to keep their pets safe and away from these 5 Easter dangers.
1. Easter Lillies: Lillies are popular Easter decorations in churches and houses, but must be kept away from your pets because they contain harmful toxins called cardiac glycosides, which can cause oral irritation, excessive drooling, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and a loss of appetite.
2. Easter Candy: While sharing Easter candy with family is a fun and exciting tradition, it is also important to keep your fur kids away from the chocolates as ingestion of chocolate can make your pets seriously ill. Dogs do not have the same ability as humans to metabolize theobromine and caffeine.
3. Egg Hunts: While a traditional Easter egg hunt is enjoyed by children (and pets) of all ages, there are a few things to keep in mind to have a safe Egg hunt. If you're having an egg hunt in your backyard, make sure that all of the hidden treasures have been discovered and collected. Although fresh, hard boiled eggs are not harmful, they spoil easily, so if your pet discovers and eats an undiscovered egg from the Easter hunt days later, it will make them very sick.
4. Easter Baskets: Easter baskets are a great way for your little ones to not only celebrate their beloved Easter bunny, but its nature-filled home too. That said, the plastic grass used to line Easter baskets and displays is an accident waiting to happen - for your dogs. Although the dyes and chemicals are unlikely to cause serious harm, they may cause severe stomach irritation and digestive upset.
5. Crackers: If you plan to burst crackers on Easter, please keep your dogs at a secure place in the house because crackers release toxic gases such as sulphur dioxide, nitrogen and potassium into the atmosphere. It has a far greater impact on animals than on humans. Moreover, the loud noises will scare your pets and affect their nervous system too!
If you are mindful of these dangers, there's no reason you can't have a safe, fun and most importantly pet-friendly Easter! You can make your Easter even more special by gifting your pets their own Soothing beds or Soothing Cushion from Absolut Pet so that they can enjoy a peaceful night's sleep and all the exciting festivities!